Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Wednesday - Day Camp Recollections

How did the day go?
Hannah: Today was really good.
Group: Pretty good.
Justin: Our group was a lot better today.
Maggie: The last part of the day my group spent time asking questions about fighting…I wasn’t sure how to handle that. They understand fighting and it was hard to communicate to them that fighting is not the answer or way to solve your problems.
Rachel: Today in family group time our group was able to put the Bible verse into application. It was so encouraging to hear that they truly understood what the verse was saying. It was encouraging to see that some things are starting to sink in.
Mikey: The red team was so good all day but during family time they just couldn’t get themselves under control.
Mr. Marc: Their behavior is either one extreme or other.
Rocky: During rec time today Stephanie and I had no problems…it was a great day!
Chris: So many of the kids here at camp are zoned in, but sometimes we focus on those who are causing disturbances that we miss what God is doing in the lives of those who are focused. We need to make it a point to praise those who are being respectful, listening, and participating.
Christi: When I hear their stories, I ask myself “what is normal and how are you even coping with all those things?” Keep in mind that we have to keep loving on them despite their behavior…love them not their actions.
Chris: Just remember that there are kids at this day camp that will have their life impacted by Jesus and through that they can impact their neighborhood.
Mrs. Massie: What you do matters. These kids will remember you. They were already asking, “When’s that Texas group coming?” Keep sharing God’s word with them.
Ms. Linda: Mrs. Massie and I could not do this without you guys.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Your group is doing an amazing work there! There are times when ministry is hard but never forget that God has YOU there for a reason. Those kids need you and what you have to share with them...the LOVE and ACCEPTANCE we all find in Christ. The Chicago kids will be so sad when you guys leave and will miss you. They will remember that you love Jesus and care about them. You will leave a little part of your heart with them too. That's the way it should be! You guys rock! Cathy (Christi's sis)

Anonymous said...

Dustin - It was so good to hear your voice...in spite of how tired it was : ) As I read over the comments from today, I am sad for the kids as I think about you all leaving them behind. Even from here it is so evident that they have experienced so much loss and pain. But I am praying you and the rest of the team will be that sweet lingering fragrance that is left behind...the real Jesus that they saw in each of you because you all were the real deal. That will stay with them forever and that is what makes short term missions worth it! As sad as I am for them to be left behind, I cannot wait to see you!!! I am praying for everyones safety and fun as you all venture to the beach tomorrow. You are the best! Love you. Mom

Kevin, Cindy, Dustin and Laney said...

Dustin;

I am praying you set a great example for all the kids in the group. I know you are tired and probably energized as well so we will pray for increased energy and the ability to do each activity like you did the first day.

Miss you and see you soon

Love Dad

Anonymous said...

Sounds like yall are having a great time! I wish I could still be there! Remember to keep loving on the kids even when its hard...they may not see Christ's love any other time! I am praying for yall to REEK of Christ this week and for your safety!

Chris - I am so proud of the way that you allow God to use you to lead! You have done an incredible job leading the group in Chicago. The Lord is really going to use you and the rest of the group to eternally impact the lives of those kids this week...and that is awesome! I can't think of a better place to be! I am praying that the Lord will give you rest, strength, wisdom, and safety.
Can't wait to see you on Friday! I miss you and I love you!

-Julie